Meet Justin Soriano, The Makeup Artist Behind Heart Evangelista’s Flawless Makeup Look

Justin Louise Soriano talks about how he became Heart Evangelista’s in-house makeup artist and the secret to her picture perfect makeup look.

Related: All The Details On Heart Evangelista-Escudero’s Universal Beauty Look

The relationship between a makeup artist and muse requires full trust. They’re the ones who see them sans any filter or good lighting, personal stories are often shared around the makeup chair, and they are the only ones who can get up close with a star’s pores. The inner workings of a celebrity’s glam ritual seem implausible to many but a makeup artist who has a refined hand for real-world beauty is Justin Louise Soriano. “Being close to my muses made such a big difference on how I do their makeup. The feeling of trust becomes mutual when authenticity prevails,” he states. 

Before picking up the brush, Soriano was also a licensed nurse, professional teacher, and businessman. Yet having had lived many lives, he went searching for his true passion–beauty. Leaving his province to learn from the pros in Manila lead him to find a new home with the darling of the Philippines. His signature Soriano touch of expertly contoured and lit-from-within complexion on Heart Evangelista ultimately sealed his future in the industry. His beauty mantra is simple: A makeup look that makes every woman the best version of themselves by utilizing highlighted skin, long lashes, and neutral lips. It’s the type of glamour that can go from red-carpet to wearable for every day he says, “Beauty is about being limitless. I love a classic yet expensive look that commands attention for my muses. Either through creating angelic skin or a woman who can kill someone with her feline slant eyeshadow.”

Even when the pandemic forced the beauty industry to adjust to remote work, Soriano not only became his muse’s official in-house makeup artist but also her content photographer. As seen here with photos of Heart, captured by himself. “Heart’s life is fast-paced you can’t be someone who does one thing because Heart does a lot of things aside from being an actress. Eventually, we learned how to help and do her brand requirements,” he explains.

With a desire to keep on learning and humility that can be quite disarming even with the successes he has achieved; you can’t deny that there’s an illustrious career ahead of Justine Louise Soriano. “There’s no such thing as luck. I always believed that the formula of luck is opportunity plus preparedness, so I always prepare myself for things I manifest.”

Beauty Talks

TELL US THE STORY OF HOW YOU TRANSITIONED FROM BEING A NURSE TO BECOMING A STAPLE MAKEUP ARTIST AND MEETING YOUR MUSES?

After passing the nursing licensure exam instead of seeking opportunities for employment as a nurse I took a different path by entering the world of business. I didn’t stop there as I was always looking for something more to do. I took units in education while also studying a Management Course at the University of the Philippines Institute for Small Scale Industries in Diliman. I passed the boards and eventually became a licensed professional teacher. I enjoyed that phase, but I was looking for something I was very passionate about. I came back to my first love which is makeup.

After two years of doing pageant and wedding makeup in my province, I eventually went to Manila to seek career opportunities. I got in at the Rustan’s Commercial Corporation’s pool of makeup artists where I met Nikki Huang during a cosmetics launch event. After that she saw my IG profile and asked if I was available to do her makeup and eventually, we became best friends. I’ve always been a fan of Heart so when SSI asked for a makeup artist for their 30th anniversary, I said yes right away but I couldn’t do her makeup because she came there all made up. And so I told myself that one day I am going to do her makeup. I applied to be part of team Albert Kurniawan and I became his apprentice for Heart. The first time I did her makeup was for StarStruck and it was taped as live. I got so nervous, but the rest is history.

HOW DID YOU BECOME AN IN-HOUSE MAKEUP ARTIST AND CONTENT PHOTOGRAPHER FOR HEART EVANGELISTA?

It was the start of the pandemic and I needed to stay in her house because she had online events and she needed a makeup artist. The lockdown happened and we just decided to live all together along with her hairstylist, Jeck [Aguilar], and personal assistant, Khina [Ocenar]. As a rookie photographer, I studied how to do content in the way she does.

WHAT’S THE EXPERIENCE LIKE LIVING WITH YOUR MUSE AND GETTING INTO PHOTOGRAPHY DURING THE PANDEMIC?

Heart is the queen of creative collaboration. She stimulates my creativity on how to take content photos differently and our ideas then meet and blend harmoniously. Sometimes we talk about how to do it and she lets me do it my way. I fell in love with it and I feel that my passion for it is continuously growing and deepening.

WHAT WAS THE “PINCH ME” MOMENT THAT YOU REALIZED YOU’VE MADE IT?

The big break for me was when I did her makeup and photographed her for a magazine cover. Also being featured here in MEGA is the confirmation that I have been recognized for what I do best. I can’t believe I’ve reached this point. Though it took so much time for me to realize that even now, I can’t believe Heart is trusting me to take her photos and do her makeup for events.

WHAT’S YOUR TOP TIP FOR AN ALL-DAY SIGNATURE GLOWING SKIN AND ACCENTUATED EYES?

I’ve always been a fan of the Victoria’s Secret Annual Angels runway event. I love doing a glowing, naturally sculpted look but I also love creating my classic bronzy Muglermuse type of glam.

My top tip for an all-day glowing skin is to hydrate yourself and take antioxidants to fight oxidative stress. Also, as cliche as it may sounds “less is more” and finding the product that suits your skin type is so important. For eyes, I contour the eyes before putting any color and I maintain my muses’ natural eye shape.

WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE SKINCARE AND MAKEUP PRODUCTS THAT ARE WORTH THE INVESTMENT?

Sunday Riley’s 15% Vitamin C, La Mer Creme de la Mer, Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer, Anastasia Beverly Hills brow products, and beauty tools such as a cold hammer to de-puff the face.

IS THERE ANY BEAUTY LOOK YOU WOULD LIKE TODO IN THE FUTURE AND FOR WHO?

I’ve always wanted to do Candice Swanepoel’s makeup because she is my girl crush and fitness motivation. One day I’ll do a makeup look for the MET GALA since it has always been a dream of mine. I also want to do a makeup masterclass at the Cultural Center of the Philippines.

WHAT ABOUT THE BEAUTY INDUSTRY DO LIKE THE BEST?

What I like about our beauty industry is that it is consistently innovating products. Every month you see new products being launched, new techniques being tried on, new hacks, new beauty cheats. I love that the makeup look nowadays is towards natural skin and eyes that are defined but not mature-looking.


This Artist Confidential feature on Justin Louise Soriano is also found in MEGA’s October issue now available in ReadlyMagzter, Press Reader and Zinio.

Photography JUSTIN LOUISE SORIANO assisted by JECK AGUILAR
Makeup JUSTIN LOUISE SORIANO
Hair JECK AGUILAR
Stylist KAT CRUZ-VILLANUEVA and JOHN KARUNUNGAN of STYLEDIT GROUP
Model HEART EVANGELISTA

The post Meet Justin Soriano, The Makeup Artist Behind Heart Evangelista’s Flawless Makeup Look appeared first on MEGA.



Meet Justin Soriano, The Makeup Artist Behind Heart Evangelista’s Flawless Makeup Look
Source: Insta News Pinoy

Post a Comment

0 Comments